Tuesday, June 29, 2010

[L and] D Day

So after trying to keep Jack in for about a month, I started working to get him out at 38 weeks. I was back at the gym, lifting Ambree and mowing the yard. On Friday (37weeks, 6 days), I put everything into overdrive because Kelly had come into town to try to be part of the labor and delivery. By this point I had had every pre-labor sign except consistent contratctions.

By 5:30pm the contractions started and now were what I would consider moderate; I had to stop what I was doing but they were still bearable. We had Antonio's Mexican resteraunt planned with my family, so we continued as scheduled, but threw the hospital bag in the car just in case. Throughout dinner I had contractions about 5minutes apart with increased intensity. My dad joked that he was eating his dinner quickly should we have to rush out of there.

I stayed home until about 10:30pm and only decided to go in the the hospital because of my first labor with Ambree, which had suddenly progressed very quickly. Really I should have probably stayed home because when I got to the hospital I was only 5-6cm.

So I labored at the hospital more- pretty boring stuff. Most of my pain was helped by rocking and resting on an exercise ball that was on the bed. It wasn't very intense, but I did have back pain, so I ended up laying in bed, which relieved my back pain but made it nearly impossible to find any relief from my contractions. At this point, I wish I had gotten out of bed. I remember asking for different positions and not really getting into one.

At about 1:30am, I decided to let them break my water, knowing that things probably would start happening right away. And they did. My contractions became unbearable and every movement in bed brought them on. I couldn't move without having insane pain, but staying in bed was horrible. After about 30 minutes (maybe less, this part was a blur), I was screaming in pain without any way to find relief. I wanted out of that bed so bad, but I really couldn't move. I almost asked Sean to just lift me out of the bed. Even though I had gotten so far, and really wanted to try not using an epidural, I was begging for one at this point. The anesthesiologist was at home (about 10 minutes away), and I knew transistional labor was coming soon. Even before the anesthesiologist was there I felt the urge to push. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had much more to endure if I had had any desire to continue- but I did not. Just getting to sitting on the side of the bed was nearly impossible. I literally did not think it would be possible and rationalized in my head that if I just kept telling the nurses emphatically that I couldn't do it, that they would be able to find a new way to put in the epidural. Somehow I got to a sitting position and the doctor FINALLY got to the hospital.

After the epidural was placed, each contraction became more bearable, and minutes later they were back to back. As soon as I was on my back, they told me to push a couple of times, and then told me to wait for the doctor- Jack was ready! I only had to push through a couple of contractions because the doctor was able to ease him out. It was amazing and so much quicker and easier than with Ambree (which took hours).

I was able to help pull Jack out and he came immediately to my chest. He was perfect and I was in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment