Sunday, September 4, 2011

Baby Signing Time

Jack is a great communicator. He just doesn't use language. By fourteen months, he could pretty much just say "Ow" [out], and "This?" [What's this?]. For everything else, he gestures and squeaks. The more he wants something, or the closer you are to guessing what he wants, the louder the squeak. Cute. For about 2 minutes. The rest of the day, not so much.

So, I've been indoctrinating him with Baby Signing Time. [see Rachel Coleman's blog- amazing!] For most meals, I turn on this 20 minute video that shows basic signs. Ambree loved it, and so does Jack. After a week of watching, he is consistently signing "more" and "eat," which has been so helpful. Ambree and I have also seen him sign banana, bird, horse, water, all done and milk. Yay, Baby Signing Time!

But probably my favorite thing about the show is when they play these little cartoon skits that are maybe 15 seconds long. They are perfectly catered to Jack's age. He loves when they come on, and stops what he's doing to watch. Then when the punch line comes (someone burps or slips on a banana- hilarious!), he looks up at me to smile, like, Mommy that's so funny, did you see? I love that he wants to share the moment with me. It warms my heart. Such a sweet little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment