Saturday, March 13, 2010

How's My Flock Doing?

During my extra reading time, I've been enjoying "Praise Her in the Gates" by Nancy Wilson. It is a book on the art of building a Christian home as a mother. I have not finished it yet, but so far have been very encouraged and convicted. I especially enjoyed the chapter on parenting boys with the intent of raising men. As a female, I have so much to learn not only about biblical womanhood, but more so biblical manhood.
I was particularly convicted by a chapter that opened with a verse from Proverbs 27:23: "Know well the condition of your flocks, and give attention to your herds." How is my home doing? How is it running? How are finances (that I'm accountable for, ie grocery) being accounted for? Am I in the Word daily? How am I applying the Word to my life? How is my husband doing? Is his love tank full? Am I being direct and not nagging about the ways that I need to be loved? How is Ambree doing? Is she being loved and trained in the direction of the Lord? These are things that have been delegated to me and that should be of the highest importance.
It's easy for me to want to get busy with extra things that I enjoy, whether at church or MOPS or with friends and family. I like being in the thick of it all and finishing tasks. Most of the tasks around the home don't have a 'finished' box to check. As soon as I vacuum, Ambree and Chloe come back inside the house with half of the backyard. As soon as I wipe down the high chair, or fold the laundry, or dust, or whatever it is, I need to do it again. I love doing these things. God has blessed me with a love for my home and family. But it is a huge temptation for me to let these things slide at times. Especially when other more finish-able tasks are waiting for me.
So I have refocused my energies this last week. What does this look like for me? Waking up early to read my Bible is foremost. I was told at a recent conference that nobody wants something I have to give more than they need Christ lived out through me. I have nothing to offer if I'm not saturated in the Word. I have started 'Circle Time' with Ambree. I have had intentional conversations with Sean that have already bore fruit by God's grace. And I have chosen not to leave the house with dishes in the sink. It's a silly thing, but when the sink is empty I am motivated to pick up other things. And I don't want to be out being busy when my home is not at least primped a little. I'm sure this looks different for all wives and moms. There are seasons and circumstances in everyone's lives that make our priorities and application of scripture shift out of necessity. Right now I am blessed with more time, and its only a start for me, but I am so grateful to have found this verse and had it fleshed out in such a way.

No comments:

Post a Comment