Tuesday, March 2, 2010

18-21 Months

I'm sure plenty of people warned me and I know I read half a dozen books, but maybe if I write it to myself I will be prepared for number two...
Parenting gave me a nice breather from 18-21 months of age with Ambree. By 18 months she understood training and discipline in ways she hadn't previously, so that she was much more obedient and cooperative. She was able to feed herself her own meals and was done with baby food moving onto 'real' food with only a little hesitation. Even though I thought she would go to Kindergarten having to supplement meats with baby food, she was warming up to lunch meat and small pieces of chicken. Ambree conquered most of her toys by this point, so even when she wanted me sitting with her to play, I didn't have to show her how to play with each toy. She also began speaking in full sentences with only the prepositions missing, which made communication so much easier.
All of these little things I was so excited about. And still am. I can't imagine having to wait to eat my food so I can spoon feed her EVERYTHING. (Using a spoon was another thing I thought she might not ever master).
And now I am in a new stage. Often titled the "terrible twos" and for likely good reason, the primary one probably just pure shock on the parent's part. Here is my sweet toddler who loved pleasing me last week and all of a sudden the answer is NO this week!
Lest someone mistake this for complaining, I must say that though this is a hiccup in our parenting goals, along with this stage comes so many more wonderful milestones. She is learning to share with and care for others including her baby dolls, plastic animals, friends and real babies. She remembers things throughout her day, so when I ask her what she did at church she remembers going down the slide and playing with friends. She asks for 'hug and kiss' continually and tells everything and everyone 'love you!' She has embraced independent-play, so I can read a book while watching her play with her farm animals. I love Ambree at 22 months for all new, different reasons.
But I would tell past-self to seize those training opportunities that were so eagerly waiting during that brief period. And I tell present-self to push through this phase and continue trying to win every battle with this strong-willed (thank the Lord), suddenly scheming (I have to remind Sean about how females can conjure tears on command to get their way) little one.

No comments:

Post a Comment